Functional Safety Engineer, Autonomy
We’re searching for an System Safety Engineer, Controls and Dynamics to lay the foundation in making data-informed decisions that impact the safety of Autonomous Vehicle behaviors, verification and validation of Aurora's self-driving technology and business growth. This role is within the Safety Engineering group, which is responsible for the engineering work to satisfy the safety case for Aurora Self Driving Technology - an unsolved problem for the industry and one of the most difficult challenges in the history of system safety engineering. Our team is responsible for understanding the functionality of the full stack and helping to define operational parameters important to maintain safe driving conditions.
Perform safety analysis at all levels of system product to identify design vulnerabilities. Derive from the analysis of functional and technical safety requirements for various Autonomy software subsystems to ensure the safety of the self-driving vehicle in the presence of faults. Work with cross-functional teams to play a critical role in complex system understanding, modeling, and definition of the system constraints. This position requires excellent written and oral communication proficiency in conjunction with organization skills necessary to maintain focus and achieve consensus within diverse multi-disciplined teams. The successful candidate will be a self-starter and able to work independently, learn, tailor and execute processes, and perform in a collaborative environment.
This role is within the Software Systems and Safety Engineering group, which is responsible for the engineering work to satisfy the safety case for Aurora Self Driving Technology - an unsolved problem for the industry and one of the most difficult challenges in the history of system safety engineering. Our team is responsible for understanding the functionality of the full stack and helping to define the functional safety concept for all aspects of fault management.
More specifically, your responsibilities in the role are highlighted as:
- Perform risk-driven hazard identification and analysis for prevention and control measures in order to satisfy the safety goals;
- Perform Failure Modes, Effects and Analysis and Fault Tree Analysis of Autonomy;
- Analyze multi-agent interactions between road users and the self-driving vehicle to ensure safe system response;
- Derive various design constraints with respect to system performance and timing to ensure the faults and failures are properly mitigated;
- Collaborate with software subject-matter-experts to build the fault management concept to detect, control and mitigate faults;
- Document the approaches and analyses, develop safety requirements from the analyses while working with stakeholders;
- Bachelor's Degree, Master of Science or PhD in Engineering or related discipline
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working in functional safety, system safety, or safety engineering
- Ability to demonstrate a proven track record of successfully working with large, complex teams in a results-driven environment
- Ability to perform implementation agnostics safety analysis for complex designs
- Ability to derive technical safety requirements from analytical and data models
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and evolving priorities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Working knowledge of ISO 26262, IEC 51608, DO-178b/c, or MIL-STD-882
- Experience with complex autonomous systems
- Working knowledge of Python and physical modeling and simulation tool (e.g., MATLAB)
- Experience with Machine Learning
- Experience leading a technical area