Senior Manager, Software Engineering
We are seeking a Senior Manager for our Software Research Platform team to build and manage a team developing the next generation of Freenome’s engineering platform. You will partner cross-functionally with our machine learning and sciences teams to lead the development of our platform and contribute to the success of Engineering and Freenome as a whole. The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a dynamic, flexible environment and adapting to rapid technological progress and change.
You are passionate about building and developing strong teams, have a high sense of ownership and take pride in being a servant leader while continuing to make an individual impact. You will have a significant impact on the continued growth of a high profile technology organization that is changing the landscape on early cancer detection.
The role reports to our Director, Software Engineering.
- Supervise training and development of software engineering staff, working with Engineering leadership to establish unified principles for software development at Freenome
- Evaluate your team's performance, utilizing our review and promotion process through our comprehensive leveling matrix
- Improve your team's performance, charting out personal growth plans for direct reports
- Support recruitment of engineering personnel, technical staffing, project team formation, and organizational design as the team scales
- Work with Technical Project Managers and customers to ensure the delivery and success of Engineering software
- Help drive the vision and strategy of Freenome's technical roadmap with a focus on improving all of Engineering’s culture and execution
- Assure the availability, scalability, and performance of application software delivered by your team
- Build out your team's feature and product roadmap in support of the Freenome’s long-term milestones
- Set the technical direction and review results from engineers
- Aid in the translation of business requirements into technical needs and actions
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field; or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- 3+ years of experience in engineering management
- 3+ years of experience in software development, with a track record of building and deploying scalable solutions in the cloud
- Experience partnering with scientists and researchers to build infrastructure that supports experimentation
- Experience in biotechnology, bioinformatics, machine learning or a similar field
- Experience with Agile sprint planning
- Experience with project management, prioritization, and resource planning
- A demonstrated ability to structure, grow, and optimize a team for execution, including attracting top tier talent and filling out gaps in the existing team quickly to accommodate growth
- Exposure to “big data”, especially biological and clinical data
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills